Saturday, January 01, 2011

A New Year - The Year of His Word

I am naming this year, thanks to Ann.

For the first time I am giving a New Year a name. Not a resolution that will dissolve in failure by mid-January, but a name of meaning, a theme of sorts, to help guide my way through the next 365 days.

In November, I began to pray and ponder for the name of this year.  I was memorizing Psalm, chapter one verses one to three, and these words became etched in my mind, "in His law he meditated day and night" and "and whatever he does shall prosper". 

And then one Sunday morning, I sat listening in the pew and the words from Joshua, chapter one were read from the pulpit: "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it.  For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."

Meditating on God's Words day and night and prospering?  For to be spiritually rich, spilling over with Him and bathing in His graces is great success.  For the effort put into each day, into each word spoken, into each act done, that all that would be worthwhile guided by His Word. To reap a full harvest due to sowing in his Word? How prosperous can a girl be?

And so, I began to pray and ponder for the meaning of meditating day and night, for I am a mother of four, and a teacher and wife, and laundry and lessons and meals to feed hungry tummies don't allow for quiet moments of meditation easily.

But what if His Word was hidden in my heart and I could say it aloud as I stirred the soup?  And what if the Lord's Prayer and Psalm 23 could be spoken aloud when moments of stress broke forth and harsh words threatened to break the peace?  And what if His word was printed on cards and posted above the kitchen sink and on the computer's edge and on the window sill and around  the bathroom mirror to remind me of His graces and mercies?  And what if I actually read His Word every day, the same passages as listed in the back of my starting-to-get-worn Bible, and read His Word fully during this year?  And what if I encouraged others through encouraging messages of scripture by sending card creations by mail?  And what if I memorized passages of scripture to hide within my heart and husband donated a coin or two to the poor and needy for each verse recited?  And couldn't I find time to put on an online sermon or two, every now and then, to fill my heart and mind and soul with His Word?

This is the Year of His Word.  And by His strength I will learn to meditate on it day and night.  And I pray to be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth fruit in its season, whose leaf shall not wither.

Lord, may You hide your Word in my heart, make it a part of who I am, moment by moment through each day of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A note from you to me? Thank you!