Friday, June 06, 2008

Some Words to Ponder

For the past couple of months I have been reading the book of Proverbs. Each day I read the chapter the corresponds with the date of the month. I am finding that there are so many verses of truth in this book that I can reread it over and over again. Here are some truth verses from Proverbs chapter 3:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths. ~ 3:5,6
This is a life verse - I've got it hidden in my heart.

Do not be wise in your own eyes. ~ 3:7
A simple reminder that I need godly wisdom to guide my decisions and actions, not my own thinking abilities!

Honor the LORD with your possessions,
And with the firstfruits of all your increase. ~ 3:9
How many times do I go shopping with my firstfruits and then "honor" God with my fourth or fifthfruits?

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
When it is in the power of your hand to do so. ~ 3:27
Do I divert eye contact with the street person who is hanging outside my favorite coffee shop?
Do I make an effort to pick up some extra canned goods to drop into the food bank bin when grocery shopping?
On the day after reading this passage I was confronted with the opportunity to buy a homeless man a cup of coffee and a lemon loaf. I was somewhat uncomfortable, but he was truly grateful.


Those are some great truth verses!

2 comments:

  1. That is how I grew up reading Proverbs. My dad made my sister and I read a chapter a day that corresponds with the date. I think its great. It really helps to get the Word in you.

    No problem on helping. I was noticing that it has done that to me a couple times. I don't know what it was. When I started making my custom templates it quit for some reason. Don't know why. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome reminder about trust!

    ReplyDelete

A note from you to me? Thank you!