Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thoughts from another Mama

If you believe that God places people in your life for a purpose, then that would mean that every encounter, friendship, and relationship potentially contains divine influence. It is easy to recognize divinity in the Big episodes of life, but sometimes the divine little things get overlooked, taken for granted, ignored.

The other day I sent an email to a friend. Earlier we were talking about being moms who cry . . . easily. I had to share this little story with her:

I just wanted to tell you that I totally understand your "crying episodes". I'm sure that I am going to cry at all my kids's rites of passages. At Precious's last set of swimming lessons, the lifeguard had the kids swim with life preservers from one end of the pool to the other end. As Precious got close to finishing the 25 m, she swallowed some water, started coughing, but kept on paddling with such determination. This was the first time I had seen her swim so far - I had to wipe a quiet tear from my eye at that moment too. Not because of her fabulous swimming, but because she kept trying so hard in spite of swallowing half the pool.

In response to my email my dear friend with an older daughter responded:

You will cry, trust me. It's just in us. I absolutely love seeing my kids accomplish new things and you are happy for them and at the same time worry for them. You want to do everything you can to protect them. It is the relationships with my kids that gives me the tiniest glimpse into God's love for us.

Hmmm. Makes me not want to take for granted the "little things" (which end up being the Big things) like my kids's everyday accomplishments, a blessed friendship, God's love.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big "cryer"! I can relate!
    Smiles,
    Genny

    ReplyDelete

A note from you to me? Thank you!