Monday, April 21, 2008

Home Schooling's on my Mind

The time has come. My oldest daughter is suppose to be entering kindergarten this September. Someone in society has decided that when a child turns five years of age, give or take one to 12 months, he or she is then ready to enter kindergarten. I wonder who decided that. And since I'm wondering . . . Who decided that when a baby turns one year old, that the mom should start working or "take a break" from her child for at least a couple of days each week? And who decided that when a toddler turns three, preschool should be on the horizon? I'm not sure if other moms ponder these assumptions or not, but I truly am curious who decided the appropriate ages for these rites of passages.

I am not a hard-core advocate against societal norms, but I do wonder how many parents even consider the fact that they do have options. Sometimes it's okay to second-guess mainstream ideology. I may even dare to say that it's often okay to second-guess it.

Five years ago, the idea to home school my children had never crossed my mind. I went through the public school system and I turned out alright along with many other children who have and still do succeed in "the system". There is a lovely traditional public school down the street from us where my children would probably fit in just dandy. But over the past three years I have been exposed to many homeschooling families and experiences and I have been pleasantly surprised. Over time, my thoughts on how schooling should be performed have been broadened and somewhat converted. I am not one to announce that homeschooling is the only appropriate way to school a child, however I do believe that it is a very valid option.

The government in the province where I live is extremely supportive of homeschooling families and the homeschooling option. I am aware that this is not the case in other parts of North America, let alone other countries where homeschooling is literally a crime. So in light of my freedom, my family is blessed to be given the opportunity to even consider homeschooling. In fact, this is one of my reasons that I have chosen to home school my kids or at least give it a try. If I pass it up, if I don't give it a chance, I know I will regret it. I am a firm believer that decisions like homeschooling need to be made on what is the best for not only the individuals in a family but for the family as a whole. And for now, I am convinced that this is the most excellent way.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your dedication to homeschooling! I think that's wonderful.
    Have a great day,
    Genny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have that level of support. You may be aware of the struggle I'm having over it. Still praying and trying to figure out what to do.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete

A note from you to me? Thank you!