Friday, September 28, 2007

A Day in the Life

For some reason the cool days of Fall have motivated me to get into the kitchen, pull out the mixing bowls and measuring cups, find some favorite recipes, and get my hands messy! This is not only fun for me but also for my two little ones. This past week we have put our efforts together and concocted oatmeal cookies, banana muffins and lemon loaf. Our tummy's have been well treated!

I love baking with my kids - well, for the most part. I have come to accept masses of flour and sugar landing on the floor and tiny little fingers getting into the mixing dough. My girls love to reach into the mixing bowl and scoop out a taste of the unbaked butter, sugar, egg and vanilla mixture. I know that "good mommy's" would NEVER let their kids eat uncooked eggs, but in spite of my warnings of worms and stomach aches my kids insist on scooping with their index fingers!

Here's my tried and true oatmeal cookie recipe - a great treat on a cool Fall day:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all purpose whole wheat flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup of quick cooking oats
optional: 1/3 cup of raisins, 1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Put butter, sugars, egg and vanilla into a large bowl. Beat until creamy.
3. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the bowl. Beat until well blended.
4. Add oats, raisins and chocolate chips. Mix well.
5. Roll batter into ball (1 inch). Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!

Recipe comes from Cooking Without Mom by the Hen Party - page 100.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I had seen your post for a blog link exchange request and I added you to my blogroll at:

    http://www.heather-bixler.com

    If you are still interested in exchanging links just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete

A note from you to me? Thank you!